Wednesday, April 30, 2014

No Recipe- recipe veggie edition!

You may remember roasted veggies from my Bonus veggie post a while back.   I was making roasted veggies the other day and thought I'd make a video for ya'!


All you need are roasting veggies and olive oil.   See the veggie post linked above for more details about which veggies roast well.  Use a nice size pan or large baking dish.  If your veggies are in a single layer they take less time to cook.  My baking dish was a bit overloaded but it works.  Coat the veggies with a little oil and bake at 350 until done- about an hour.

Here are the veggies out of the oven.  You'll see how I added the green beans and mushrooms after about 30 minutes of cooking.  The veggies weren't done when it was time to pick up my little guy from school.  I just turned off the oven and left the veggies as is.


To make the yummy beet salad I mentioned in the video simply top salad greens with cooled roasted beets, a little goat cheese, and toasted walnuts.  (How to toast nuts?  Spread them in a single layer and put in a 425 degree oven.  Check every 5 minutes until they're fragrant and dark as you like.  Let them cool and store in the fridge or use immediately.)  Top with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  YUM!!!!


Now what about the tops of those beautiful beets?  That's right- when you buy beets with the tops attached you get two side dishes in one!  Beet greens are not only high in nutritional value but are delicious.  It's best to plan on eating them the day you buy them but if you can't cut them off and put in a bowl of water in the fridge.  This will keep them fresh for another day or so.  Here's a video that explains how to cook them:


Here's the beet greens when they're done:


It makes 2 small servings.  Yum!!!  You can also simply use them mixed with lettuce in salad.   I prefer them cooked though.  My dad told me how when he was a kid growing up during the Great Depression his mother, wasting nothing, would insist he and his brothers eat beet greens.  He hated them!  When I first received beets with the tops from our CSA my dad was visiting and couldn't believe I was so excited to try beet greens.  Go figure!

Sarah

6 comments:

  1. Sarah, I tried beet greens for the first time last summer when I bought them at my local farmer's market. I really enjoyed them!

    P.S. It's still in the 40s and rainy here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 40's and rainy here too! What happened to all those May flowers??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come to Texas! We have 'em! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE roasted veggies! I should make some this weekend to use with salads.

    Our Farmers Market doesn't have any produce, yet, but the local honey is going like gangbusters because of how bad the allergy season is after our never-ending frigid winter (Seriously... it's May and still in the low 50ºs? This transplanted CA-girl is having a hard time with the Midwest weather).

    My university has an NPR station that features a professor who specializes in home gardening every Friday dishing out advice. On yesterday's show, he promised that spring will come...eventually. I'm not sure anyone believes him at this point...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in the midwest too (outside Chicago) and it sure doesn't feel much like spring. Today was better but tomorrow we're back in the 50's. I don't mind the cooler weather but I appreciate it in the fall after a warm summer.

    Our farmers market opens soon but I never go until later in the summer when the local veggies are in from the fields. Until about July it's produce from the south.

    I know what you mean about the local honey! It's so good and the health benefits make it so much better than sugar! Makes me feel ok about eating it. ;)

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete