Friday, July 4, 2014

Happy 4th of July!!

I hope everyone here in America is having a nice holiday.  We just got back from taking my son and his friend to the parade, after a sleepless sleepover.  My girls are still in bed.  Seeing all the little ones in their red, white, and blue sunsuits and rompers made me a bit nostalgic for the good old days when my kids wore coordinated 4th of July outfits and were enthralled by the whole thing.  We brought the pooch with us and his leash and collar are a bit patriotic year round with white stars on a red background and navy on the underside of the leash so that's something.

Last night we had some friends over for an impromptu dinner and to watch the fireworks at the beach.  I didn't plan any vintage recipes so I have nothing to share but our menu is one of our summer favorites:  grilled chicken, corn on the cob, brats for the hubbies, hot dogs for the kids, crab dip (Luckily my dear foodie son had a craving for it and we made it on Tuesday.), cheese and crackers, and watermelon for dessert.  Not bad for throwing it together in an hour!  I really should share the marinade for the chicken.  It's so easy and you probably have everything in your kitchen right now.  When make it again I'll do a post for ya'!

Here are some beautiful patriotic/summer magazine covers from my collection.






 I hope everyone has a fun, safe holiday with good weather!  Oh and the best part of the 4th- it's officially watermelon season!!  Woo hoo!

Sarah

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing collection of magazines you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! One of the reasons I started this blog is because I know the old magazines are hard to find and I wanted others who love vintage to enjoy them too!

      Delete